Tales from the Tendring Flatlands

Tales from the Tendring Flatlands
Summer Bassing

Monday 25 February 2013

Palma Violets at Norwich UEA

The title should really have read "NME Tour at Norwich UEA", but.......

I ordered a couple of tickets a while ago for this NME Tour thingy, featuring Peace, Palma Violets, Miles Kane and Django Django.

Anyway, me and eldest son left the Thorrington badlands about 6.15, thinking we'd be at the gig about 7.45. Which we were. I assumed that first band would be on about quarter past eight. No chance. By the time we arrived Peace had already played. Blimey Charlie, not very rock and roll.

Palma Violets came on to the rather good Sid Vicious cover of Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else" and from the start showed why they're tipped to be 2013's Next Big Thing.



Christ, I'm lapsing into cliched gig speak. I'll keep it short and sweet. They were fantastic and from the off had the (mostly young student) audience wigging out in a way that reminded me of "The Good Ol' Days" of the late 70s and early 80s at Essex Uni ( I could bore you for hours. Maybe one day I will, if you're really unlucky ). The only thing that I thought strange was the set seemed to peak in the middle with storming renditions of "Best of Friends" and "Step Up For The Cool Cats", which I would have thought they'd leave to the end. Pogotastic mate !


Next up, Miles Kane. Now, I have to admit that I've never knowingly heard anything by him. The Manc Midget, Andy Window, was briefing against him last time we spoke.

Me - "Whats Miles Kane like ?"
Manc Midgit - "Arrogant Scouse Twat"

Oh, so that's that then ?

On came Miles, to a huge cheer, made up for the most part by swooning girls, with his leather trousers and rock star looks ( I was beginning to hate him already ) and was straight into straightforward, well played indie tunes that left me totally cold. Having said this, the crowd loved him and I'm sure he won't be too devastated that a grey haired middle aged tosser, albeit with great musical taste, thought he was a bit shite.

After what seemed about three lifetimes, Miles said that he felt that this had already been a great gig and although we were only halfway through his set.........No! No way, we've seen enough ! The Manc Midgit was right. Get off, you Arrogant Scouse Twat ! Eldest boy looked at me and said "Shall we go?"
"Yes son, Yes" said grey haired Dad. And off we went, missing Django Django because we couldn't bear to listen to another half hour of Miles Smegging Kane.




1 comment: