I had some ragworm left and although the tides were not ideal today, with low water falling at 11.00 a.m, I decided to have another quick session. Weather was about spot on for a day tide, being dull and breezy, so I thought I may have a chance or two.
As soon as the tide started to flood I worked my way along the ridge, a cast here and there before moving on, until I got to the ( current ) favourite spot. First cast and within seconds the float shot under and I frantically wound in the slack as the fish bolted towards me. When I finally made contact with it it went mad, firstly thrashing on the surface and then stripping several yards of braid off the reel, before eventually being beached on the mudbank.
A thick set bass of around 3lb, in perfect condition. Worth making the effort to "use up the worms". It'll be interesting to see how long the bass remain in the estuary before disappearing for the winter.