Tales from the Tendring Flatlands

Tales from the Tendring Flatlands
Summer Bassing

Sunday 9 December 2012

Deep In The Essex Marshes

Last Sunday the day started with several degrees of frost and a deep blue sky. After a quick breakfast I drove over to Tollesbury, the village where, to me, it will forever be the 1970s. As a kid I used to go over every week with my Mum to see my grandparents on the old Osbourne bus. It seemed to take ages,and you prayed that the bus wouldn't take a diversion into Salcott, which extended the jouney time still further.

I parked in the square near the Kings Arms and walked down Station Road to "Woodrope". A really bitterly cold, but beautiful day. Mooched about the creeks a took a few photos.
 Sail Lofts at "Woodrope" Tollesbury
Ghosts of times past
Houseboat in the creek
Tollesbury Light Ship

Ended up walking past the legendary 96 Mell Road. The old walnut tress have gone and a large extention has changed what was once a simple council house, but I could distinctley smell, hear and see traces of the long gone1970s.


1 comment:

  1. Wak. Get that history writen down some more. As with yuor last post some damn good photography there

    ReplyDelete