Tales from the Tendring Flatlands

Tales from the Tendring Flatlands
Summer Bassing

Saturday 22 December 2012

Huge Tide at Wivenhoe

A beautiful sunny, calm day last Sunday, so I took a walk down to the quay at Wivenhoe. When I got there, about half hour before high tide the water was already well over the road and still rising, which was surprising as although the tide tables indicated a large tide, they did not predict one of this size.

Half Hour Before High Tide at Wivenhoe
I could understand it if there was a big northerly wind blowing and an area of  low pressure, but Sunday was the opposite of this. I spoke to a local fisherman and asked him what was going on and all he said was "I'm buggered if I know". Anyway, it was a good chance to get a few unusual photos.
 Top of the Tide
Up to the door at the Rose and Crown


No comments:

Post a Comment