Tales from the Tendring Flatlands

Tales from the Tendring Flatlands
Summer Bassing

Saturday 22 December 2012

John Peel's Festive 50

I miss the Christmas Peel shows. Being a bit of a saddo, I used to religiously tape John Peel's Festive 50 each year. Somewhere in the loft are cassettes and mini discs (I'll explain later kids....) going back to 1979, through to 2004, a good twenty years worth. I'm sure there must be a few years missing but not many. 

I seldom listen to them now though, it just seems to remind me that poor old Peel is no longer with us. Anyway, in the spirit of the Festive 50 and in memory of Peel, here's a few of my favourites of 2012.

And in no particular order.......

Albums

1000 Pictures - Pete and the Pirates - Great band, but split up after only a couple of years
Toy - Toy - Krautrock British styleeeeeeee
The Lion's Roar - First Aid Kit - Country music can be groovy, pop pickers
Standing At The Sky's Edge - Richard Hawley - Plenty of wailing guitars and feedback, limited crooning
Let England Shake - P.J.Harvey - A corking album, not a single duff track

 Tracks

If you have a pulse, you'll enjoy these.

Motoring - Toy



 Best of Friends - Palma Violets - 



Reformation - The Fall


London Can Take It - Public Service Broadcasting


Home - Edward Sharpe and the magnetic Zeros




No comments:

Post a Comment